A standard installation of a ducted reverse cycle air conditioning system includes internal refrigeration unit , outside compressor, high level filtered return air grille and outlets to the rooms you have selected. A standard installation by Big Fan Air Conditioning includes the following:
Standard Installation Inclusions
Bigfan Air Conditioning will bring the air conditioning unit with them on the day they will be installing it. We will move the inside and outside unit to the ground level locations where they need to be installed (subject to appropriate access being provided) and we will remove all packaging.
Installation on a single storey, pitched roof (with cavity), low set home with appropriate installation access
Split level homes and homes on sloping blocks present varying challenges to our installers and increases the complexity of the installation, so these may not fit into our standard installation requirements and may be at an additional cost. There should also be easy access to the location where the outside unit is to be installed.
Installation at a location deemed suitable by installer
The outdoor unit will need to be placed in an agreed location with suitable access, ventilation, non-sloping base, no adjacent interference, allowing for routine maintenance and provides for a safe working environment. Both indoor and outdoor units to be installed as per manufacturer’s instructions (specifically minimum distances to be kept above, below and to the sides of both indoor and outdoor units) to not void warranty.
Up to 6 metre distance between indoor unit and ‘return air’ grille
The indoor unit is positioned in the roof cavity and we provide for a single ‘return air’ grille, returning air from the house (usually placed in a central passageway location) which needs to be located within a 6m duct run. Greater distances and additional grilles are at an additional cost.
Up to Manufacturer’s pre-charge distance (typically 15 metres) or refrigerant pipework
The inside unit needs to be mounted as close as possible to the outdoor unit. The Manufacturer usually provides a standard amount of refrigerant to allow for typical installation and this distance is specified in their product data. Additional pipework distance will require additional refrigerant with an additional cost.
Up to 20 metre distance from the outdoor unit to the switchboard
Bigfan Air Conditioning will also provide electrical work for a separate hard wired new electrical circuit from the switchboard to air conditioner and new 20 or 25 amp circuit breaker (depends on size of the unit). Up to 20m internal roof cable run (switchboard must have sufficient electrical capacity and room for another circuit). Greater distances or runs needed in conduit are at an additional cost. Switchboard capacity, consumer mains, residual current device (RCD) and meter box upgrades are at an additional cost.
Weatherproof safety isolation switch mounted near outdoor unit
This is a really important safety requirement that we never take a shortcut in delivering. This allows for easy maintenance and gives you the option of turning the unit completely off if you are going on holidays or don’t plan to use it for a while.
PVC Ducting to conceal and protect exposed pipework and wires
This usually means one length of ducting that runs vertically on the wall to hold and conceal the pipes and wires that run between the outside and indoor units. Our ducting is fully UV stabilized, but will be supplied only in a standard colour (Ivory) at a standard length of 2.0m for our standard installations. Additional ducting and/or multiple bends are at an additional cost.
Condensate drainage provisions
Water from condensation needs to be drained from the inside roof cavity unit. We will run a pipe from the inside unit condensate tray to the eaves of the house and let the water drain onto the ground at the nearest convenient location. Drainage of the condensate should be possible via the proper installation of the drainage pipe and the sole use of gravity to drain the condensate. Running the drain further distances are at an additional cost. Water pumps and installation are at an additional cost.
Mounting requirements for the outside unit (site must have suitable paving)
We will mount your unit onto your solid paving (concrete, brick pavers, etc). A standard installation needs the site to have a suitable paved ground surface to place the outside unit on. Preparation or repair of the ground surface are at an additional cost. Concrete or other ground blocks and other mounting systems are at an additional cost.
Installation pressure testing
This is an important test which can be avoided by unscrupulous installers. We always pressure test using dry nitrogen so as not to void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Pump down/evacuation of systems copper line set before introduction of refrigerant
This is also a very important part of the installation which is also required to be done by the refrigerant Codes of Practice. The system’s copper pipework is evacuated/pumped down via a vacuum pump to a minimum of 500 microns after installation and pressure testing to ensure all non-condensables (such as nitrogen, air and moisture) are removed from the system prior to introducing the refrigerant charge. This ensures the refrigerant inside the working system remains clean and does not deteriorate possibly causing the system to lose efficiency and eventual premature wear and tear on the compressor itself. Some installers “purge” the lines which is now illegal and is not as effective as a proper vac down.
Quality Polyair ductwork and parts
Our standard installation will use industry standard ductwork and parts. Each outlet needs to be positioned in the house so that it is installable with a single standard length of duct. Each splitter needs to be no further than a single length of duct to the next splitter or the air outlet. We will use metalized R1.0 polyester insulated firebreak duct, plain duct fixings, standard Multi Directional Outlets and low voltage zone controls.
We will install a new controller for the model you have selected in an agreed location on a cavity wall as well as a zone controller and provide instruction on the basic operation of the system.
This comes with all our installations, so rest assured that we will stand behind our workmanship for a time equivalent to the manufacturer’s statutory or defined warranty. We won’t let you down. All work is carried out by ARCtick Certified Tradesman and Licensed Electricians so as not to void the manufacturer’s warranty. We will also provide Electrical and Air Conditioning Test Certificates and operation checks.
Installation in the Adelaide metropolitan area
We will provide our standard installation service anywhere in the Adelaide metropolitan area. Travel to country locations are at an additional cost.
Single pre-arranged installation date
Please have a responsible adult present on the day to discuss/oversee and sign-off on the work on the planned installation day, just in case your installation is non-standard. Additional installation visits due to customer responsibility are at an additional charge. In the event of heavy rain etc. installations may have to be re-scheduled due to safety regulations or structural constraints. If this is the case, we will inform you on the day (or prior if possible) and an alternative installation time/date will be arranged at no additional charge.
Industry standard installations
Our ducted systems are installed to comply with standard industry installation and warranty standards as presented by the qualified installation technician at the time of installation. Non-standard height/ positions are at an additional charge.
Additional installation requirements
Sometimes a more customised and complex installation maybe requested or required for your particular home. It’s important to think of the permanency of your air conditioner installation and general appearance of your home once it’s installed. For instance, mounted on roof or wall brackets, mounted away from outdoor entertaining areas, front entry, windows, gardens and the need to keep it away from existing gas cylinder locations.
Additional pipework, ducting, bends, electrical cabling and labour is required in these situations. Depending on the particular unit being installed there may be an additional amount of refrigerant required to be added per meter once the line set exceeds a certain distance. We always provide a fixed price quote before we commence any work so you know exactly what your installation cost will be.
BigFan will not supply or install any insulation, window shading or floor coverings where your home does not have a sufficient installation of these items. In these cases a different type of system, additional points, or other things may be better for you home.
We will not carry out and installation in any location that is deemed unsuitable by the installer. You must ensure, prior to the Installation, to that your home complies with any electrical or other standards required by law and that it is suitable and safe for the Installation.
You must obtain all approvals, consents or permits from any person (such as local council/planning authority, any strata corporation or body corporate, or the owner of the Premises) prior to arranging the installation.
You must ensure that the installers (together with any vehicles and equipment) have safe, convenient and unhindered access for the purposes of undertaking the installation.
Some additional costs to consider if you have a more difficult installation
You will need to pay for any additional costs not mentioned in our standard installation information:
- Houses with loose insulation are typically an additional $250 on top of the standard prices.
- Homes under construction will require additional visits at $200 each.
- Base preparation for the outside unit using a Concrete or similar Slab: $185.00.
- Roof mounting on pitched roof, adjustable mount: $350.00.
- Roof penetration and Dektite (or similar) seal: $135.00.
- Additional Zone Motors: Price TBA.
- Additional ceiling outlets: Price TBA.
- Additional ‘return air’ grille: Price TBA.
- Additional ceiling duct runs per meter: Price TBA.
- Extra pipe work, ducting, electrical and labour over standard installation: $65.00 per metre.
- Ducting 90 degree bends, T intersections or Wall Passage: $30.00 each.
- Drain pipe per metre: $5.00.
- Automated Condensate water pumps and installation where gravity drainage not possible: $400.00.
- Rafter mounting of inside unit: Price TBA.
- Decommission and Removal of existing units and ductwork (no patching or painting): $500.00.
- Two storey homes need special consideration and installation requirements, so these cannot fit within our standard installation packages. contact us for a quote.
- If a crane, scaffolding, boom lifts or cherry picker is needed, contact us for a quote.
- Painting, re-decorating or general carpentry i.e. patching from removal of units, boxing in ductwork, plaster work and/or building structural work etc. (if required), contact us for a quote.
- Any work required to reinstate or make good any walls, plaster or other items that are altered or damaged during the Installation, contact us for a quote.
- Penetrations through or work on structures containing asbestos – customer to check walls for asbestos prior to first attendance; client to have hole/s cut (preferred). Contact us for a quote.
- Core drilling or any other non-standard penetrations (starting from $200 incl. GST p/hole cut)
- Removal of vegetation, fences, or items for placement of outdoor unit, contact us for a quote.
- Any variations from the above and/or work not specified in this recommendation, contact us for a quote.
- Access to routine maintenance and service (standard services start at $199 incl. GST, recommended annually to maintain optimal functioning of your unit)
*Prices subject to change without notice. Terms & Conditions apply and is subject to final site evaluation.
Standard Service-Domestic Ducted Air Conditioning System
Standard domestic ducted system services are $199 incl. GST*.
- Clean return filter.
- Cleaning of external unit and coil clean the condenser.
- Check refrigerant.
- Temp check.
- Function check.
Exclusions not included in a standard service:
- Cleaning of the Evaporator is not included, because of the work involved removing the indoor unit manifolds. This is possible and involves some hours of labour removing the supply and return boxes, re-installing them and resealing. $120 per hr after if required.
- Compressed nitrogen to clean out blocked drains i.e. if air conditioner is dripping water: $35.00.
- Refrigerant to re-gas units: $50 per Kg, average air conditioner 1-2Kg required.
- Recovery of refrigerant from a non-running system: $95.00
- Breakdown call out fee: $125 includes fault find up to 30 min; $140 per hr after if required.
- Breakdown/Leaking of refrigerant gas (unit is not cooling):Recovery of refrigerant if any, disconnect pipework, re-flare pipework, nitrogen charge to 2000KPA to check for leaks, vacuum down system and recharge with required refrigerant. Average Ducted system complete job $450-550.
*Prices subject to change without notice. Terms & Conditions apply and is subject to final site evaluation.